Posted by Abby on 9:59 AM

Hi Gang!! Once again, it's been EONS since I've posted on this blog. I've been keeping up with my other two blogs fairly frequently, but my lack of enthusiasm over my flailing jewelry business is apparent with my infrequent posts here on Simply Charming.

One word. FRUSTRATION. I've been building up my inventory over the past 2 months in order to have a jewelry party, which was offered to me by the customer who bought most of my jewelry from my office display. You may remember me mentioning that several posts back. Well...here we are, 2 months since she asked me to design and create 2 sets (necklace, bracelet, earrings) for her, and she STILL hasn't paid me everything that she owes me. She's been coming by every once in awhile and paying in $10 installments. It didn't bother me at first...I mean she DID spend almost $100 the first time she came in, and I took her custom order at that point, too, so I was feeling a little happy rather than annoyed. But everytime I see her, it's the same thing, "Oh my goodness, I just keep FORGETTING that I owe you money!!! hee hee hee."

So now it's official. I'm annoyed. She's mentioned the party to me maybe twice since we first talked about it, and has said she does still want to throw the party. But I'm beginning to feel like maybe SHE can't afford to be buying extraneous items. And if SHE can't afford them, then who is she inviting to the party?

I don't want to seem insensitive---I KNOW what people are going through right now, with the economy and job loss and everything. I don't just say that I know, I KNOW---my dad has been out of work since January. So I can empathize with it in a very real way. But I'm trying to think about this from a business standpoint, and I just keep imagining people trying to haggle with me over the price, or being really excited about my work but unable to afford it. I think there would be a guilt factor in there, too....."They should really be spending their money on something else...like food."

I don't know, am I CRAZY???

At any rate, I think I've decided to rally on Etsy, list all the items I've created so far for the party, and decline her offer. At least for now. Maybe if I beef up my inventory, I'll actually have someone PARTICIPATE in the BOGO sale that I've got going on right now. (I haven't had a single bite. Not ONE. It's buy one get one free, and I've had NO sales.)

I talked to my husband last night about my disappointment in the success of my business, and my fears about the party. And he said to me, "I've got a Sunday off coming up---maybe we should try our hands at the flea market." So that's my new motivation. :)

Please let me know if you think I'm overthinking the party situation!!! I value your opinions! Thanks! :) Have a great day!!!

4 comments:

BeadedTail said...

I can certainly see why you are frustrated and I think your idea of just listing it all in your Etsy shop is a good idea. Before making any final decisions, call her up and pretty much pin her down to 1) getting the rest of your money and 2) what's the date of the party and make her get the show on the road so to speak. If she waivers at all on either point, that's it - she had her chance and you can rest assured you made the right decision!

And I think your husband's idea is fantastic!

Kristin at My Art and the Mom in Me said...

Oh, Abby!

I agree with BeadedTail, wholeheartedly. I think that is what you need to do. Be firm. She has had her chance.

Your husband is awesome. I know in Raleigh, at the flea market there..There are lots of people selling their handmade jewelry, give it a try, you just may surprise yourself!! ((hugs))

Kristin at My Art and the Mom in Me said...

Abby Sweetie.. you won my craft it forward!! I will hopefully put a post tomorrow about how the winner was chosen..

I won't be able to make anything for you this week as I am in San Antonio..I think I am going to make a wire wall hanging for you.. incorporating my beads.. which will make YOU the very first owner of one, I haven't even put any in my Etsy shop yet..

I have a few ideas floating in my head about what exactly I will make. I will just sit and let the inspiration wash over me! I am excited about it! :)

Duni said...

Hi Abby,
I'd be frustrated not to mention really angry too! Do you have anything in writing you could go on? You must be firm about the money she owes.
Give her a deadline!
I wish you the best of luck!!!

HUGS,

Duni

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs