Posted by Abby on 9:33 AM

So everyday, I venture over to Etsy to check out the items they have listed on the "front page." I'm always interested to see where the sellers are from, what they're selling, how they photograph, etc...

You guessed it. I'm looking for a pattern. And I'm trying to teach myself how to be a better seller based on the items the Lords of Etsy decide to put on a pedestal for the day.

Well today, there was a picture that caught my eye. A bowl of rhubarb. Innnnnteresting. Just what was this person selling? So I clicked on the picture and was whisked away to her shop.

Not only is she NOT selling the bowl, or the rhubarb, as is displayed in her picture (she's selling jam), she's only got the ONE item listed in her shop.

Now maybe I'm over-reacting here, but it doesn't seem fair to me that someone gets to be featured on the front page when 1) they have one item to sell, and 2) the picture she's chosen to represent her product isn't even close to what she's selling. She was only chosen to be featured because her picture fits the daily theme. And because it's artsy. Truly, it's a gorgeous photo and could probably be featured on the front of a food magazine. But that's beside the point. (Kudos, Jam Lady.)

Granted, I think selling jam is a wonderful idea, especially for Etsy. I'd love to see how she eventually packages it, and I think it's a great business plan. It's not something I've seen a ton of on Etsy, so good for her. My frustration is simply this: I've had a FULL shop for over a year, and I've never been featured. Now I'll be the first one to tell you that not all of my pictures are fantastic. I STRIVE to take "Etsy-quality" pictures, and it's something I battle with every time I list. But I also don't edit my pictures in any way---I don't photoshop them, or brighten them, or add anything to them. All I do is crop them. I feel like the pictures I put up are, if nothing else, honest of the product I'm trying to sell. (FYI: Any tips to make my pictures better are ALWAYS appreciated, and if anyone wants to send me a better camera just cuz I'm cute, well, I'd be thrilled!)

So tell me, am I over-reacting? Or do we have every right to be upset?

Best of luck to the jam-seller!



5 comments:

Kristin at My Art and the Mom in Me said...

Ok.. So, I haven't been able to get on the computer until now, when you facebooked to check out your blog, which I am now doing..

ok, so I think it is completely unfair that was put on the front page. It is a blatant misrepresentation, in my opinion.. But like you, Kudos to the jam lady.. But, I think people expect to see the actual item on the listing..

poop.

Lenox Knits said...

I really think that is against some Etsy policy. I don't know the exact wording but I've read something about how what is pictures has to be representative of what is for sale. Does it surprise me that Etsy put something on the front page that breaks their own rules. No. I've seen featured sellers called out for breaking Etsy rules and these were shops handpicked by admin.

Samantha said...

Hi Abby - We must be soul sisters. I found you by a search for 'shrinking violet' as I have a jewelry company called 'No Shrinking Violet'. However - and more importantly - I have PCOS and am going through the 'gradual shrinking violet' effort myself. However - I also went through it at your age - I am now 41 and perhaps you can benefit from my experience -
I now have two lovely (albeit tornado-like) boys -
You can email me - sam@dx.org -
Samantha

Betty said...

This is one of reasons I quit listing on Etsy.

I am now on Artfire and have closed both of my shops on Etsy. You may want to check them out as an alternative. They are really helpful and adding new features for the sellers and buyers on a regular basis.

Good luck to you all.

Duni said...

Hi Abby!

it's been such a loooong time :)
I just wanted to say 'hi' and hope everything is okay at your end!

wishing you a happy holiday season,

Duni

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs